If you have one or more problematic or missing teeth, dental implants may be just what the doctor ordered. One of the most effective, healthy, and comfortable tooth-replacement options available today, they look and function like natural, healthy teeth. In fact, no one will likely know you have a dental implant unless you tell them.
Dr. Lee Gause the team at Smile Design Manhattan are pleased to provide this game-changing treatment for patients in Tempe, Arizona.
How dental implants work
Dental implants replace your natural teeth, starting with the root. The actual implant is a titanium screw that Dr. Gause embeds into your jawbone. Because it’s made of biocompatible titanium, your body won’t recognize it as foreign. Over time, it fuses with your jawbone, providing a strong foundation. After the implant is placed, a natural-looking crown that matches the rest of your teeth will follow.
Benefits of dental implants
Dental implants can provide a range of benefits, including:
- Better oral health, because they’re easy to clean and guard against complications of damaged and missing teeth
- Convenience, because you don’t have to remove them, as you do dentures
- Physical comfort, because they feel just like natural, healthy teeth
- Improved appearance after tooth loss, which can not only leave gaping space, but also impact the shape and look of your face
- Improved speech and eating capabilities, both of which can be difficult after tooth loss or while wearing dentures
- Durability, if you take good care of them
- Heightened confidence, peace of mind, and self-esteem, due to all of these advantages
Dental implant success rate
While individual results vary, dental implants have a success rate of 98%. This is substantially higher than other devices, such as dentures. One study showed that only a little over one-third of removable, partial dentures showed no technical failures or hygienic problems. With proper care, implants can last a lifetime. Avoiding particular habits, such as smoking, can increase your odds of success.
Caring for your dental implants
Taking good care of your dental implants is vital and, thankfully, easy. Immediately after surgery and until the site has healed, you may need to eat soft foods only. Follow Dr. Gause’s instructions and be sure to ask him any questions you might have for best results. Moving forward, you’ll brush your implant with a soft-bristled brush at least twice a day. You’ll also need to floss well, creating a sort of L-like shape—moving the string down and then under the crown on each side. This helps keep food particles and bacteria from building up.
To learn more about dental implants or find out if you’re a good candidate for them, call Smile Design Manhattan or contact us through our website.