Smile Design Manhattan
Cosmetic Dentistry located in Midtown West, New York, NY
Whether you had a bad experience as a child or as an adult, dental phobia is a real thing, and it can keep you from getting the dental care you need. The specialists at Smile Design Manhattan in New York City understand your dental fears and offer sedation dentistry so you can get the dental care you need without fear or pain. To learn more about sedation dentistry, contact the Midtown West office today by phone or online.
Sedation Dentistry Q & A
What is Sedation Dentistry?
Sedation dentistry is a dental specialty aimed at helping you feel more relaxed during your dental exam or procedure. Dental phobia is real and may prevent you from getting the dental care you need to keep your teeth and mouth healthy.
With sedation dentistry, the team at Smile Design Manhattan can examine, clean, and perform any necessary procedures you may need to improve oral health and prevent more serious dental issues.
Am I a Good Candidate for Sedation Dentistry?
Your dental specialist at Smile Design Manhattan determines if you’re a good candidate for sedation dentistry when you come in for a consultation.
Your dentist takes into consideration your mental health, as well as your physical health, when determining if you would benefit from sedation dentistry.
In addition to dental fears, you may also benefit from sedation dentistry if you have:
- Low pain tolerance
- Sensitive gag reflex
- Can’t sit still in a dental chair
- Need a significant amount of dental work
In some cases, you may need a note from your primary care physician clearing you for sedation dentistry before administration.
What Types of Medications are Used with Sedation Dentistry?
There are different types of medications used for sedation dentistry. The type you need depends on the reason you need sedation, as well as the type of procedure you’re having done. The types of medications include:
- Inhaled Sedation: To help you relax during your filling or root canal, your dental specialist may provide nitrous oxide, which is an inhaled sedative that doesn’t put you to sleep. It also wears off quickly.
- Oral Sedation: In some cases, you may be given a pill to take an hour or so before your procedure to help you feel more relaxed. Oral sedation can have a mild to moderate sedative effect. You may need to arrange help home when you’re using oral sedation, depending on the strength of the sedative used.
- Intravenous (IV) Sedation: For a more serious procedure, you may benefit from IV sedation. This type of sedation puts you into a more relaxed state very quickly. Because of the intensity of this type of sedation, you may require assistance getting home after your dental work.
In addition to your sedation, your dental specialist at Smile Design Manhattan may also use a local anesthetic to numb the treatment area.
You can feel relaxed and comfortable in the dental chair with sedation dentistry. To learn more about your options, call Smile Design Manhattan today or request an appointment online.
Dental Cleaningsmore info
Dental Implantsmore info
Root Canalsmore info
Sedation Dentistrymore info
Wisdom Teethmore info
Botox & Fillersmore info
Teeth Whiteningmore info
Sleep Apneamore info
Mouth Guardsmore info
Ceramic Implantsmore info
Emergency Dentistrymore info
Mobile Dentistrymore info
Full Mouth Rehabmore info
White Spot Removalmore info
Gum Liftmore info
Tooth Transplantationmore info